The Virtual Handshake, your Call to Action
What is a Call To Action? A Call To Action (or CTA) is a piece of content intended to induce a viewer, reader, or listener to perform a specific act, typically taking the form of an instruction or directive. It is ultimately the goal, the endpoint of your video where your persuasiveness as a marketer pays off.
It’s where you close the deal, the virtual handshake with the viewer, before they call the number on your screen, or visit your website, and ultimately subscribe/purchase your product and become part of your community.
It’s also undoubtedly the most important part of your video production because it is the true measure of the success of all the content before it.
Video Duration is Crucial in Creating Call to Action Videos
It shows that you’ve captured an audience’s attention and held it for however long your video is 30 to 60 seconds, 2 to 3 minutes, or even 5 to 10 minutes. The longer the video, the more impressive it is that you’ve held your audience’s attention to the end.
However, each of these formats needs to utilize the correct call to action in order to turn views into clicks, clicks into buys, and so on!
In this article, we will break down our recommendations for how to design your Call To Action(s) depending on the content you’re creating!
The Spot (15 to 30 seconds), a Fast and Clear Call to Action
Short-form media like this are generally found on Broadcast TV and web content (pre-roll ads for Youtube for example).
Red+Ripley generally specializes in web-based content for this sort of content, so here are a few tips!
- Web advertising often allows hyperlinking directly to your website from the video. MAKE SURE that your website allows users coming directly from your ad to find the content they’re looking for since generally, our attention spans are short.
- Try a cliffhanger. If you’re working with scripted content, creating a sense of intrigue, or offering the viewer something for free will definitely increase the response to your call to action. Get your viewers down the rabbit hole!
- Make sure to leave a minimum of 3 seconds for your logo and link it to the website.
The Homepage Video (1 to 3 minutes)
This medium form content can be found as pre-roll, but also as an embedded video on your website.
- Homepage videos should generally lead your audience further into your offerings, so don’t just offer them another link to their website. Give them polls to answer, categories to browser, implore your audience to check out all your offerings with your Call To Action!
- Offer something for FREE. A subscription, a demo of your product – if they’ve made it this far into your video, they’ll want more content.
- If you plan on using this type of video for pre-roll, it is very important to specify a HOOK early on in your video that grabs people’s attention!
- You can even play around with your marketing knowledge, like this…
Longer Form Content (4 minutes+)
Longer form media allows you to stretch your legs in your storytelling. While it tests your audience’s attention span, creating something compelling that gets watched through to the end will almost guarantee you a click on your Call To Action.
- Offer the viewer ANOTHER VIDEO. After all, if they’ve made it this far, keep them on the line! Expand your product offerings too, allowing different types of target consumers to see areas of interest to them.
- Spend more time on your Call To Action. Since you aren’t as constrained on time, use your Call To Action to sell more of your product. Show the link or phone number to get the product while you play more testimonials, applications, or outlets for your product or service. At this point, you won’t lose any viewers.
- Start getting your audience’s information. This can apply to the shorter content as well! Get your audience to FILL OUT A FORM on your website, so you can follow up with them.
The Bottom Line
Essentially, you can use these all of these tips in one way or another across any type of video.
The most important thing to remember is that your customers are people. If people are searching for you, they just want to know that what you do is going to help them. And if it does, you need to make it easy for them to take the next step or learn more!
If you have any favorite Call To Action(s), share them and book a discovery session with us!
About the Author
Colter Ripley is the Executive Producer for Red+Ripley and a Video Producer.
We’ve been producing videos for over 18 years after winning film festivals nearly two-decades ago.
Colter is certified in the digital film with a specialization in cinematography. He has a multimedia diploma and handles project management as a certified business coach.
His main focus is collaborative and custom video production which guarantees lots of customer service. And the final product clients will be excited to share!
If you’re looking at working with a great producer for animated explainer video production, definitely give us a call or fire us an email. We’ve been doing this for so many years it’s pretty easy to quickly help.
Email us to discuss your production!