Film and video in Vancouver: Finding the best fit
Film and video in Vancouver normally refers to professional services in commercial production. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’re in the right place!
Our company has been producing projects for nearly twenty years and has a small boutique team here in Vancouver producing commercials and corporate videos to our client’s specifications.
We produced over 165 videos in 2018 and we have continued with that level of commitment for many years.
Vancouver markets for film and video
There are three distinct markets in Vancouver when it comes to the production services for film and video.
- Commercial and film and video in Vancouver for the nearly 100,000 local companies in the Lower Mainland
- Film and video in Vancouver for out-of-country producers looking to create a project in the Lower Mainland
- Audio/video and broadcast productions for television and online news event coverage in Vancouver but possibly broadcast worldwide.
I’m going to include coverage video production under the umbrella of commercial production because most genres are simply a subset of commercial production.
How to go about your film and video project in Vancouver
It’s crucial to define your vision for the production and come up with an exciting idea.
Once you find that great vision, it’s important to define a target viewer. Get specific with the target viewer avatar so you know exactly who you are speaking to and building everything for.
Once you have that great vision and the specific target viewer, you will need some clear outcomes in order to measure success. These metrics allow you to be specific with exactly what you want to accomplish using your marketing budget and effort.
When it comes to outcomes, I like to choose:
- Something emotional that grabs the viewer’s intention and engages them with something sexy, inspiring and exciting!
- A second grade outcome can be selfish in terms of a specific sales revenue or call to action with results seen on the bottom line.
With this great foundation of a vision, target viewer and outcomes, you are able to fully produce your production and begin contacting a company in Vancouver.
How to choose the best film and video company in Vancouver
What are some of the crucial deciding factors when choosing a company?
Our company handles film and video production which simply means we are lower in budget compared to other film industry services.
There are proper companies that do this kind of productions in Vancouver, which are separate from the film industry. These companies handle professional production services and proper production budgets within Vancouver.
Film and video production cost
Expect your budget to start in the $100,000 mark for commercial standard production and as low as $5,000 for a local corporate video.
As you start to scale down your project, you will get into the corporate and commercial range. This usually refers to a professional spot which may be produced in a reduced or guerilla method.
“A smaller production team or more guerilla methods often result in higher quality final products.”
It takes an experienced and seasoned director, cinematographer and producer combo to create a great film and video work.
Some commercials are just a mess and don’t completely hit the outcomes or vision they set out to acquire. These production mistakes can be seen in a project that is a flop, nobody wants to share, the views are minuscule and a brand that isn’t properly represented.
A low-quality commercial with a lot of marketing dollars spent is the nightmare of any marketing team.
Some of the easiest ways to make sure you walk away with a beautiful final product that your team can’t wait to share (and your viewers are flowing like a tidal wave towards your products and services):
- Find a great personality match who supports your brand, uses curiosity and lots of questions to understand exactly what you want to accomplish
- Look at past samples or previous work as this can be a great example of what’s going to happen in the future.
- Look for emotionally inspiring work. It’s tough to fully describe what creates excitement, intrigue and interest but you will certainly feel it. Goosebumps never lie.
- Look for a budget fit and a company that can expand and economize your production so that your outcomes and vision are hit.
We have worked on so many video projects in the past, from corporate videos for Discovery Channel to a video campaign for Telus. We have done over 100 videos per year for the past five years using our small team.
We have a lot of longevity in this industry because we love what we do and choose clients to collaborate with us to produce some great spots.
I’m surprised I got into this industry and continue to love it.
I hope to hear from you and learn about your project and business so we can hit some of your marketing objectives out of the park!
About the Author
Colter Ripley is the Executive Producer for Red+Ripley and a Video Producer. He’s been producing videos for over 18 years after winning film festivals nearly two decades ago.
Colter is certified in digital film with a specialization in cinematography. He has a multimedia diploma and handles project management as a certified business coach.
His main focus is on collaborative and custom video production that guarantees excellent customer service and a final product that clients are excited to share!
If you’re looking at working with a great producer for film and video productions in Vancouver, definitely give us a call or fire us an email. We’ve been doing this for so many years it’s pretty easy to quickly help.
Email us to discuss your production!