Inspire Learning through Educational Videos and Training Video Production in Vancouver
In this article, I’ll introduce some powerful tips for viewer engagement and production methods for educational training videos!
We’ve been producing corporate videos and commercials for over two decades now and not to boast, we have been consistent in producing commercials that are of high standards.
One of the main technologies that hasn’t changed and has no indication of stopping is certainly viewer engagement. This is technically due to the continuing conceptual development and creation of ideas that are wrapped in compelling stories and complemented by powerful visuals — which will never go away.
The importance of pooling together a creative team
Conceptual development usually starts with collaborating with your client and producer. Putting together a great high-level team you’re excited to chat with and a team to go into battle are both important.
The classic saying about choosing your high-level creative team is someone you would go for a beer with and trust with your house keys, is indeed, true. Of course, a past reel of experience producing similar projects in educational training or corporate video doesn’t help!
Once you have the strong creative team, certainly begin the collaboration with conversation. It’s important to have fun and really express some wild and crazy ideas and plans. If you have a strong team, they’ll ground each other in reality while also being creative.
From there, it’s time to get into the specific plan and produce a proposal and quote or a production book document. I won’t dig into the financial aspect but having an hourly rate plus equipment or other rentals is common.
You can call the concept a one-pager or maybe a treatment but it’s a document description of what’s going to happen in the production. I like to include a vision, mission and objectives to really have a home-run, followed by technical notes such as the genre, style, camera settings and angles.
Often when I’m planning, I’ll go as far as developing storyboards and visuals to complement the narrative. I love looking at other companies in Vancouver and seeing what they’re producing. And maybe, I can get some inspiration from our archive of hundreds of projects.
There are so many methods in making training video production Vancouver and it can really be inspiring to break down the work of other producers and see what applies to your project.
The challenges in engaging viewers
When it comes to the challenges of viewer engagement for your training video production Vancouver, there are three primary modalities that can help the viewer retain information.
- The first is simply the footage captured, which has both a visual and audio component but most importantly, these two modalities are primarily how humans communicate.
- From there, I like to layer on a set of titles and complement the spot with text, image or b-roll visuals. The primary information delivery can come from talent or interviews discussing the topic. It can also come from voiceover or voice performance.
- Finally, it can also come strictly from the visuals complemented by the soundscape.
Tips to overcome these challenges
- One of the smartest things you can do for your video production is to use mixed media such as images, footage from multiple cameras, multiple sources of talent or interviews, and even random acquired footage from other sources or other producers.
This can include drone footage, GoPro footage or even shoulder rig or glidecam footage.
Mixing a variety of media together would help keep things fresh and creative when it comes to selecting the most important or effective visuals for that particular message.
- We recently finished production for a local brand that included 40 videos for internal use, which they use when training team members and onboarding new staff to their systems, standards and philosophies.
It’s highly effective to produce a project and create something that can be used over and over again for years to come. Do your Training and Development person the favor of automating at least part of their job!
- Using talent or a voice over is a great opportunity to get all the wording right. There’s a lot of brand verbiage which should be refined and should correctly represent the one best way to do everything.
If you have a video production project in mind, send us an email so we can start expanding on the best way to compliment the brand with a great narrative, emotional storytelling and something that engages the audience on multiple levels so they retain more information. And you can use the production for years!
Send us an email today and let’s have a quick chat that can save you hours of research.
About the Author
Colter Ripley is the Executive Producer for Red+Ripley and a Video Producer. He’s been producing videos for over 18 years after winning film festivals nearly two decades ago.
Colter is certified in digital film with a specialization in cinematography. He has a multimedia diploma and handles project management as a certified business coach.
His main focus is on collaborative and custom video production that guarantees excellent customer service and a final product that clients are excited to share!
If you’re looking at working with a great producer for your video or commercial production, definitely give us a call or fire us an email. We’ve been doing this for so many years it’s pretty easy to quickly help.
Email us to discuss your production!