The Start of a Unique Commercial Video Production Company in Vancouver
When I was still in high school, I won a few film festivals and my future in producing commercials was secured. I was even surprised that I landed in commercial video production because I expected myself to make documentary films for the masses. Yet, commercial is a powerful short-form of media that continuously intrigues me.
Red+Ripley Video Production from Red+Ripley on Vimeo.
As a young man, it truly amazes me to work on these beautiful high-budget productions. The silver screen and well-oiled machine with hundreds of people working in perfect tune is a beautiful thing. Commercial production companies offer great results.
One who Masters the short form is able to translate the same skills to a bigger and more complex productions. The great thing about commercials is because it is scaled-down into a work of art. All rolled up into a 5-minute (or less) presentation. When someone hears about commercial, they automatically think premium and high-quality (and EXPENSIVE!) presentation.
Unique Commercial Production Companies
Video made for a brand, done by a unique commercial video production company in Vancouver. Generally speaking, any video which is made for a brand is considered a commercial. So, even your videographer covering an event is technically doing a commercial video production.
Although, this term commonly refers to a different professional craft, one of high budget and high levels of skill.
- One of the main ways commercial production companies differentiates itself from other mediums is the use of a few production gold standards from the larger film industry.
- The ultimate consummate professionals are the film industry pros. The workflow and systematic production services industry is refined, professional, and has been operating for over a century.
- It’s certainly strange to think of the standards of an industry which never makes the same thing twice.
- The film industry has created a standard of nearly everything. Starting from, how to put light up; then, on how to cast talent; through, directing a production.
Where commercial differentiates itself is in these smaller team sizes. A more nimble, smaller and cross-functional team is common. When we were working on Best Buy, Future Shop, and other large brand videos, a 5-person team is common. You can also learn more about our corporate video production.
A Vision and an Attempt
I’ve also attempted to run our company with smaller team sizes, sometimes in the range of one or two people. If you work with an advanced producer, often, they can handle complex production with a small team size. However, when it comes to going on set and managing a larger workflow, you will need multiple personnel.
Crossfit Oahu Video Profile from Red+Ripley on Vimeo.
In the eyes of the masses, another big differentiating factor with commercial production would be the complexity of a production. Choosing the best from various commercial production companies will surely engage your target audience.
The Roles, Distinguished
- A videographer just shows up with a camera ready to capture incidental footage…
- A corporate video producer is ready with simple lights and an interview set up.…
- The commercial producer has talent, locations and properties all organized. It also includes a team with more specific skill sets to handle each department.
In summary, having a variety of departments is a big indicator of a commercial production. The only true distinguishing factor in real commercial production is whether or not a brand or commission the spot.
Tesla – The Road Not Taken from Red+Ripley on Vimeo.
So, whether we’re capturing a video for an event or we are acquiring interviews and asking the president of a company some questions…
We’re especially doing commercial production. If we are producing a project for a client and a brand, we start by preparing a treatment. This simple directorial treatment marks the start of many productions.
All in About Production
A production process might go something like this: first of, brand hires an agency to represent their marketing and advertising campaign. In contrast, many companies are moving to Direct-to-Producer where they skip the production chain. Instead, they find an Executive Producer, Producer or Filmmaker to work on their production.
A Creative Director, Director or Creative Producer handles the development the of a creative. This can come in a simple vision which can be over the email or, maybe, a treatment with visuals. These are pitched and then selected by the client. More about video production.
This above-the-line creative process has some limitations in terms of budget.
The Employee you Always Wanted from Red+Ripley on Vimeo.
Although there are many creative ways to complete a production using Gorilla or inexpensive and free methods. Most of time, the hours required to produce high-quality spots is really where the budget needs to go.
- First, the client needs to have a producer, agency, and chief creative on board. Next, the creative needs to expand to involve a script, storyboards, and a narrative breakdown of the production plan.
- Next, comes securing the talent, the locations and the production specifics. It is more complicated and certainly takes a professional that’s been through it many times.
- Finally, if you’re looking at producing a production, send us an email or give us a call. A quick conversation can save a lot of time! Also, get more with drone videography Vancouver.
About the Author
Colter Ripley is the Executive Producer for Red+Ripley and a Video Producer. We’ve been producing videos for over 18 years after winning film festivals nearly two-decades ago.
Colter is certified in the digital film with a specialization in cinematography. He has a multimedia diploma and handles project management as a certified business coach.
His main focus is a collaborative and custom video production which guarantees lots of customer service and the final product clients are excited to share!
If you’re looking to work with a great producer for animated explainer video production, definitely give us a call or fire us an email. We are doing this for so many years it is pretty easy to quickly help.
Email us to discuss your production!